Monday, May 16, 2011

The Results


The Earth Day Event was not only the first of its kind in my neighborhood but also my first experience organizing such a function.  Anecdotally, I can report that many people came, appeared to have a good time, stayed for a couple of hours, and seemed engaged.  Data obtained through the prize drawing shows that participation was 20% of households in the neighborhood.  (My goal was 15%.)  Event partners included 10 different businesses and the Home Owners Association.
There were 20 survey respondents, many of whom were event attendees.  However, there were a few additional respondents, who delivered their completed surveys via the neighborhood mailbox.  Some respondents left a few questions blank, and percentages were adjusted to reflect the lower response rate.  In some cases responses were received from multiple people in one household.  23% of households are represented in the survey.
Some of the questions used in my survey were obtained from EcoAmerica’s 2006 survey, The American Environmental Values Survey, in combination with questions I wrote specific to my area and interests.  The survey responses were the biggest surprise to me, because I assumed my neighbors were uneducated and/or unconcerned about environmental issues.  As it turns out, most of the respondents answered the survey as I might have if I were completing it.  Of course, I cannot assume from these responses that all of my neighbors share my feelings about the environment.  After all, a full 77% of households did not participate in the survey process.  Still, I am encouraged by the responses I received.  (Complete results are posted on the course discussion board.)
Among the most surprising results to me are the following:
  • 100% of respondents are concerned about environmental issues
  • 73% of respondents would call themselves environmentalists
  • 77% of respondents believe that Americans are responsible for most of the world’s environmental problems
  • 84% of respondents believe global warming will affect them
  • 95% of respondents would like increased public transportation options and bike lanes in our area
  • 94% of respondents would like to live in an eco-friendly community
  • 100% of respondents would like to reduce the amount of chemicals used in their household
  • 71% of respondents believe sustainable living is affordable for the average person
  • 94% of respondents would like to participate in a neighborhood sustainability group
  • 100% of respondents believe that preserving the earth for future generations should be a top priority

My primary purposes for the organizing the Earth Day Event in my neighborhood were raising awareness, building community, and gathering data about my neighbors environmental attitudes.  Additionally, the good will generated at the event appears to be sufficient to overturn the HOA restriction on the keeping of backyard chickens at the annual meeting this September.  An unexpected benefit of the event is that the neighborhood Facebook page I created in order to share event information now has 16 followers and is being used as a vehicle for general neighborhood communication.  I plan to start either a neighborhood or district sustainability group this year, so I am encouraged to see that there is interest right in my own backyard.  By next Earth Day, I hope there will be a motivated group of people, who share my passion, interested in organizing a more comprehensive event.
References
EcoAmerica. (2006). The American environmental values survey: American views on the environment in an era of polarization and conflicting priorities. Retrieved from http://ecoamerica.typepad.com/blog/files/ecoAmerica_AEVS_Report.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment