Saturday, March 12, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

First, the good news...Mecklenburg County Wipe Out Waste will provide printed materials for the Earth Day Event, including a schedule of composting workshops and the 2011 recycling guide.  They will also provide leaves for my composting demonstration, and leaves are a hot commodity to composters!  REI has committed to provide a $25.00 gift card, two outfitting certificates for camp gear rentals for up to 4 people for up to four days, and a few water bottles or reusable bags.  Lastly, I have set up a neighborhood Facebook page to communicate about this and future events.

The not as good news...I have not been able to find anyone willing to set up backyard chickens yet, nor have I been able to find anyone in the bee club willing to donate honey for a give away, pieces of comb for display, or their time to discuss the ecological benefits of, and threats to, bees.  Though I know logically that I will not get everything I request, it has still been a bit of a downer.

My next steps are as follows:

  • Contact Earth Fare, No Kidding Soaps, Goodwill, All About the Pipes Plumbing, Uncle Scott's Rootbeer, Black Hawk Hardware, The Peaceful Dragon, Rooster Hill Farms, Breadsmith, and The Home Economist.  I will be asking Goodwill to send a truck to pick up swap items left over after the event.  I will be asking everyone else for either give away items, expertise, or, in the case of The Peaceful Dragon, the use of some tables for the event.
  • Contact the HOA President to ask for funding.
  • Solicit volunteers to take responsibility for aspects of the event.
  • Prepare educational materials for the event.
  • Prepare and distribute flyer by March 16 to promote both the event and to direct residents to the new Facebook page.
  • Prepare survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment