Sunday, April 3, 2011

50/50

The collection of donations for the Earth Day event has begun.  REI came through with 27 reusable water bottles, a $25.00 gift card, and two certificates for camping rentals for up to four people and up to four days.  Earth Fare provided five reusable shopping bags.  I spoke with Simon of No Kidding Goat's Milk Soap yesterday at the farmers market, and he will be donating 12 bars of soap, which I am picking up next week.

On the flip side, the folks at Uncle Scott's Root Beer had a death in the family, which is requiring them to leave town for an extended period of time.  Still they tried to reach out to provide root beer for the event.  We played phone tag but never connected.  A primary obstacle has been my limited phone access at work, and I have been working more days and longer shifts lately.  I tried to call them during my breaks but could not get through.  Further, I have been hesitant to pester them because of the circumstances.  Nevertheless, I consider this a big loss.  My plumber, who expressed some willingness to attend the event and discuss water conservation, still has not committed.  I will follow up tomorrow and hope that something pans out.  Lastly, the very enthusiastic woman at Healthy Home Market has been unresponsive.  This is the most unexpected development because of her previous level of enthusiasm.  I have not been as persistent as I need to be in getting to the bottom of this, so I will prioritize contact with her this week.

Currently, I am working on my survey, which I will distribute next weekend along with an event reminder.  On Tuesday night I meet with the HOA Board to finalize event plans.  I hope to secure funding to add a few more door prizes and plan to ask members to assume responsibility for specific event day tasks.  I will also touch base with The Peaceful Dragon to confirm the availability of tables for the event, Rooster Hill Farms to verify their attendance, and Mecklenburg County Wipe Out Waste for composting leaves and literature.  Lastly, I will begin making signs for the event from cardboard I will obtain at REI and recycle after the event is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment