My brother-in-law Kevin (wife's younger brother) is a carpenter. He is both visiting from Des Moines and working for hire on some household projects for us this month. Since he is temporarily living in our home and working on our home, Kevin is consulting me on most decisions so that we can discuss the potential environmental impact. I'm quite proud of how he has adapted to our lifestyle, which is radically different from his and his family's back home. A few days ago Kevin, who I call the King of the One-Liners, called back to me as he headed outside, "Who knows, the planet you save may be mine!"
At first I was amused, then I had an idea - What if the kids at the Earth Day Event had shirts that read, "The planet you save is mine"? It would be a cool gift, and hopefully have an impact on their parents about the importance of protecting the environment for their children's future. Then I had a second idea - my brother-in-law Thomas (my sister's husband) runs several businesses, one of which is a chain of t-shirt shops. Thomas and I sent several e-mails back and forth to work out the following details: his shop in Charlotte could prepare organic, unbleached cotton t-shirts for us with anything we wanted on them for $5.50 each. According to Thomas, the real cost is $9.50 each. Maybe there was a reason I had been holding off on asking for money from the HOA after all.
Next I called the HOA President's wife Michele, my ally and cheerleader, and she loved the idea. She even said she was willing to subsidize the cost as needed to make it happen. How cool is that? We worked on the design (shown below), and added "greening the 'hood" to the back of the shirts. We have placed an order for 20 kids shirts and several adult shirts too. I love it when a plan comes together!

No comments:
Post a Comment