With a little over a week before the Earth Day event, I am experiencing some anxiety about the project. While I believe everything will go well, I tend to be a worrier - especially when organizing so many moving parts. I imagine this serves me well by insuring that I am checking my list twice.
I met with the HOA Board on Tuesday, April 5, and found extremely enthusiastic support in one member Michelle, the wife of the Board President. The President Bill tends to be a stoic guy, but he agreed to chat with some neighbor musicians about playing at the event. I was able to draw out another member Heather, who, in my opinion, does not see herself as an environmentalist, by suggesting that she might talk about the money she and her husband Todd are saving by taking the bus to work. (They had recently been in the store where I work looking for insulated lunch bags and shared that they were using the bus system.) Heather became very animated when she realized that she did have something to contribute to the conversation. The fourth board member Brooke is planning to put her house on the market soon and could not stay for the whole meeting.
I decided not to ask the board for funding, because I really could not justify in my mind the need to buy things. Though everyone will set up and manage the event, I did not accomplish my goal of getting people assigned to specific tasks. The meeting was a bit disjointed primarily because Bill's and Michelle's 70 pound puppy was running in and out, knocking things over, and jumping on people during the meeting. Heather was excited about the clothing, book, toy swap, so I will ask her to manage it. I plan to give Bill a list of acceptable recyclable items from the county and our electronics partner, so that he can man that station. Michelle will be herself, a general cheerleader who makes sure that everyone is engaged and having fun. She also demonstrates the greatest awareness of environmental issues and will be drumming up support for her idea of greening the neighborhood. She wants to incorporate a green theme into all of the neighborhood events for 2011.
In other news, the board gave permission for a friend of Randy's (of Rooster Hill Farms) to sell iced coffee drinks at the event. Since we are providing reusable bottles, I requested that his friend not bring disposable cups. My neighbor Ji has agreed to take pictures at the event. And Joselle is planning to do a practice run on natural egg coloring this weekend. I have been in touch with my plumber's office, but still have no commitment from him. I have attempted to contact Holli at Healthy Home Market twice this week without success. Perhaps I chalk that up to "you win some, you lose some."
In the time that remains, I will make signs and complete handouts for the event. Based on the conversation at the meeting on Tuesday, I will also brainstorm ways to make the composting more kid-friendly and to include a kid-friendly Leave No Trace portion, which may occur at a set up REI rental tent, if I am able to borrow one. The wisdom is that if the kids are engaged, the parents will come and stay longer!
No comments:
Post a Comment